Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Checklist?

I’ve always loved Hilary Duff. Kids nowadays grew up with Hannah Montana, but I’m from the Lizzie McGuire era, so you can tell that I’m not that young, but not that old either. I suppose.

But after Lizzie McGuire, Hilary Duff kind of lost her sparks and quietly she faded into the background, and I found myself no longer interested in her movies and life, so I drifted away.

Recently, she did a television movie based on a book by Daniella Bronsky (The Diary of a Working Girl) under the title Beauty and the Briefcase.



Now, I don’t watch chick-flicks all that much. The last chick-flick movie I’ve seen is The Devils Wear Prada, and that is only because my two fashion-lovers brothers tagged me along.

See I have four brothers. Two are fashion lovers and another two are game lovers. But all four are technology lovers. So my life was rather influenced by them. It was nice to talk about fashion and game to them, but sadly, they are unknowledgeable about makeup and girly games, as most guys do. But that’s fine, because I got to tag along into designer stores and gaming stores! Yeah. But I can’t buy anything though. I have no moolah. I couldn’t ask them to buy anything for me either, because then my mom would say, “Why would you waste money on this shirt when it’s exactly the same as the RM20 one?!” Yeah exactly.

I’ve read the Devil Wears Prada book as well, but that was ages ago. I associate chick-lit books with my middle school years, so truthfully I am quite out of the loop.

But I haven’t seen Hilary Duff’s acting for…years. And the synopsis kind of sounded like The Devils Wear Prada + How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days + Confession of a Shopaholic.

Now, I haven’t actually watched the latter movies, but I’ve read the entire Shopaholic series, and How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days was often played on TV so I kind of get the gist of it even though I’ve never watched it entirely.

Oh wow a such long introduction. Anyway, I watched it, not too impressed with Hilary Duff’s acting, rather swayed by the entire cast, had a good time with it, and it kind of made me think.

Her character, Lane Daniels (Lane Silverman in the book) didn’t have much luck with men, because she lives in her own fantasy world where she expects her dream guy to have these kinds of specific criteria. And because of that, she misses the potential Mr. Right while keep searching for the imaginary Dream Guy. In the end, the Mr. Right might not be your most ideal type, but he is the most ideal for you.

And that is true. I was flummoxed and sometimes amused as people list the criteria of their ideal partners, and that includes, curly, straight, has dimples, clear skin, exciting, spontaneous, romantic, fair, tan, NC15, NC40, bla bla bla…

I don’t mind if your list has these attributes: kind, gentle, caring, religious, and again, bla bla bla, because you’re going to live with them for eternity and it won’t do to have an evil and cruel partner right?

But as long as you’re comfortable with your significant one and as the infamous phrases go, “I want to wake up everyday next to you,” and “I want to see your face first thing in the morning,” then that’s fine, I think. Well, I don’t have much knowledge about this either because I tend to gloss over ewwy pukey things like this but sometimes people seek for the oddest things in their partners.

So, I don’t believe in checklists. That person may be short or tall or dark or fair or whatever he is but as long as he looks nice to my eyes and strikes me as the right one then that’s the most important, right? I think so.

But I’m not going to think more into this because I’m not too interested in this anyway. It’s fun to see people’s preferences though.

2 comments:

Sunni said...

wow! i loove the moral you came up with after seeing the movie. now i want to watch it too!

Huda said...

Thank you, hope you have fun watching it :D