Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I LOVE BOOKS BUT...

For the past years I’ve become a total grammar-nazi. Perfection is I, so when I saw published works having grammar mistakes here and there, the aggravation is too much to bear.

My blog, despite having unimaginable errors undetected by my frivolous head, is not published to the market for the world to BUY. They can read it for free. It bears no significant to them, only to me. I could rite lyk dis for all I care and no one gives a damn because it’s my blog. They didn’t have the authority to judge my writing since their opinion doesn’t matter—unless they are avid readers of mine and wanted me to change for the best, then yeah, I could consider that.

Now, published work on the other hand, is a throughout different story. People BOUGHT them, READ them, LEARNED from them, TAKE NOTES from them, yet when all of that are proven false, what are there to trust? For one thing, the teachers surely didn’t appreciate you for using past participle incorrectly or didn’t know what’s the difference between ialah and adalah, dari and daripada. Small mistake, but it means the world for the readers, so much that you can’t possibly imagine.

I believe the first step of mastering a language is not by learning bombastic words, but rather by getting a hand of the grammar. Once your grammar is polished, every sentence could easily glide from your brain through your fingers like flowing water.

Sure, no one speaks perfect grammar in Malay language, but I’m not talking about mastering the language phonetically.

If you are a writer, then do what writers do. Be inspirational. Proofread your works. Study grammar. Buy yourself a dictionary. Read more.

I don’t appreciate your effort of toggling children’s mind around by thinking that right is wrong and wrong is right. Not at all.

As you could probably tell…I LOVE GRAMMAR AND I LOATHE THOSE AUTHORS WHO DON’T.

Random Note: I’ve talked about this to my mother and I hate how Malay grammars constantly change and couldn’t sit still. Ten years ago I learnt that this is that, but today’s Malay, apparently that is this (not literally that this of course). Just once, for once, please, let the language establish its own grammar. I have enough of this! It felt as if I know how to write but I actually don’t.

No comments: